Reusing technology has even greater benefits than recycling:
- “Extending the life of a computer is the most effective way to reduce its overall impact.” Dr. Eric Williams, Computers and the Environment: Understanding and Managing Their Impacts, United Nations University in Tokyo.
- Saves greenhouse gases, preserves natural resources and conserves more energy
- Diverts toxic elements such as: lead, cadmium & mercury from landfills.
RCT helps to meet the growing demand for computers in the classroom and the community:
- Provides access to technology for those in need
- Builds community capacity through local charities, libraries and non-profits with a learning focus
- Increases computer access in kindergarten to grade 12 across Ontario enabling learners to gain relevant, transferable computer skills
RCT focuses on reuse by extending the life of technology, ensuring that all learners have equal access:
- Empowers youth to compete in our knowledge-based economy
- Hands-on computer repair skills and training to over 300 students and volunteers annually
- Enhances learning and curriculum in schools and communities
- Provides first time work experience for youth
- Fosters organizational and entrepreneurial growth and capacity.